Thursday, June 01, 2006

Shawl Math: 160 rows = 100%

Dear Cynthia,

First, here is a snapshot of one of the finished skirts, after a trip through the washer and dryer. Thank you so much for humoring me regarding this diversion into a non-knitting universe. Can you spot the five-year-old in the photo?

The really big news is that I completed all of the 160 rows for the main body of my Summer in Kansas Shawl! Then the directions said to "break yarn, leaving an end for weaving in later"....and so I did! Feeling victorious, and invincible, I started the "knit-on-border".

In this "knit-on-border", there are stitch sequences such as K1, (YO, P2tog)twice, YO, K1b..... I **thought** I knew how to do the yarn overs for all of these cases (between a knit and a purl stitch, between two purl stitches, and between a purl & a knit stitch.

Not **exactly**. I'm no longer feeling invincible.

However, after concentrating on page 63 in my Vogue Knitting book, and with the help of some scrap yarn, I think I figured it out...

One other thing..... I thought 160 rows and 405 live stitches on the main part of this project was ominous. Now, for the border, I'm facing more than 720 rows of 17-21 stitches each. As I mentioned before, if it doesn't kill me, it will make me stronger! .....Right?? Isn't math great?

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the skirts!! Are they from a purchased pattern or did you make it up? Your site is great!