Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blocking -- Everything it's cracked up to be!

Dear Cynthia,

After today, you won't have to hear me droning on and on about Summer in Kansas any more.

Here is a snap just prior to blocking -- distance from the neckline to the point in back is 27 inches, and there is plenty of room for it on the folded sheet.

Here is a snap as it is blocking -- distance from the neckline to the point in back is 36 inches, and it no longer fits completely on the folded sheet.
It grew about 33% by blocking it. That little "vee" shape dip on the neckline edge is a feature of the pattern, so that it sits nicely on the shoulders.

I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome (though, for the record, I don't see myself ever wearing it again with a daisy print dress and in the midst of the ugliest cabinets in the world).I keep thinking I want to make another patterned shawl **right away**, and I keep reminding myself that I have other deadlines looming, such as a felted bag pattern which I'm just starting to work up, a sweater for each of my boys for Christmas, and a Noni bag for my mom, also for Christmas..... Plus, I want to get going on level two of the Master Knitter program (which I haven't purchased yet), and the usual socks which are always hanging around...... Another shawl will have to wait, right???

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

6 comments:

Designated Knitter said...

Laura - that shawl is gorgeous!! It is so amazing that YOU KNIT THAT!!! Way to go!!

Marie N. said...

The shawl is amazing! How feminine! My daughter and I are going to an outdoor play tonight, I'll have do go through the shawls and wraps I inherited from my mom to see which would be the perfect one to keep the chill off tonight.

Lauren said...

Beautiful job on the shawl. I wish I had the patience and skill to make one of those. Congratulations on making it to the end... but try and enjoy it a little before starting a new one, crazy!

p.s. i use that dishcloth you sent me every day, it's so nice!!!!:D

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, it's stunning. So airy and lovely. I love the magic of blocking! Gorgeous job.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful shawl! Blocking is just magic with lace. Good job!

Sherry said...

Your shawl is beautiful!!! I'm half way through a lace scarf and a lace shawl. It's slow going, though. After I finish them I'm going to make a Shetland Garden Faroese shawl, pattern be Sivia Harding. It has the same kind if shoulder shaping that yours does. I just wish I was faster at knitting than I am.