Thursday, November 16, 2006

Finally, some knitting content!

Dear Laura:
I finally opened my Winter issue of Interweave KNITS. Sometimes the knitting gets in the way of the knitting magazine! Before I talk about the knitting progress tho, I enjoyed seeing a little blurb in the magazine about the online knitting exhibit at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Early in 2006, I read on someone's blog that they were accepting online submissions for an exhibit of non-garment knitted items. I submitted something, and it was accepted. I never really heard anymore about it - until I saw the piece today. I checked, and my entry is still there! So, check it out here..... Fun, eh?
I have been knitting again, but I don't have a digital camera handy, so you'll just have to take my word for it. My double-knitting reversible hat is about 1/2 done. I have to confess....while I have to pay attention so as not to mix up the colors....it's boring. I'm not loving it. I just want it to be done.
SO, I decided to also knit my mom a scarf!! When I first began knitting, I designed and knitted a lace scarf for her in a cream cashmere/silk blend. It was kind of meant to be a dressy scarf to wear with her nice coat, but I noticed that she's also wearing it with her every-day coat because it's the only scarf she has! I can fix that!
Tuesday, Lauren and Angela and I spent our lunch break at Cass Street Depot! I picked up some very pretty variegated yarn. It has a fairly long repeat, and the color changes are subtle and blend well. (Of course, I don't have the ball band with me - I'll update later....) I cast on 40 stitches and am using 2 repeats of a feather and fan pattern (a perennial favorite of mine!)
So my current mode of operation is to estimate the available time to knit, and then work on the hat for 1/2 the time, and the scarf for 1/2 the time. So far, it's working.
I also picked up some more of the yarn for my niece's blanket. They are graciously holding it for me, and I pick up a couple of skeins every few weeks. I have all of the brown, but the variegated pink is twice the price, and so buying it all at once would not work for me. Once I get going, I hope to have a better estimate of my yarn requirements.
I also picked up a lovely yarn to make a baby hat. They have a hat in this color way in the store, and I just love it. Pink, rose, peach, and mossy green - it looks very old-fashioned. It's very light and airy, yet warm and fuzzy. (Ha!) I was in there a few weeks ago, and they only had one ball left. I was between paychecks, so I squirreled the ball away in the back of the bin, behind the other colors. I went back two days later, and it was gone! Someone else wanted it as much as I did! So when I saw that they had replenished the stock, I grabbed a ball right up, and now that is in my to-do pile as well.
I am still not announcing any of this knitting as "Christmas Knitting."
;)
Keep knitting!
Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

2 comments:

Cindy G said...

I'm very (!) impressed by the cow sling. What won't knitters do next? I love it.

Anonymous said...

Excellent use of knitting skills! I'm sure the cow is grateful :-)