Friday, July 06, 2007

Stash Talk II (and socks and babies!)

Greetings and Dear Laura:

Great looking socks!! This blog may have a bit of a sock-focus for a while, as I'm working on Sockapalooza 4, and I have several other sock projects "in process!" (I don't know if I mentioned, but I'm thinking of bringing the Lady Bug sweater I'm working on when we meet for Stitches. Wanna be my support group when I cut my first steeks???????)

I've finished the first sock and done the toe of the second sock, so I am well on my sockapalooza way! I used the cast-on that you mentioned, and I'm really happy with how stretchy it is. Thanks!

Color correct

Ok, a bit more about stash - I'm kind of obsessed with it lately! I've been remembering the beginning of my stash - do you remember? That trip to Duluth? You and Ruth were saying that you weren't going to buy any more "craft projects" until you had completed some. I announced that I had stopped doing any crafts, so I didn't have to worry about buying any. Then Ruth, that sly minx, took us to her LYS and stood back and watched as you bought a little yarn and I, well, I "had an accident" of mammoth proportions.

I got that white furry yarn for my first scarf (where I learned about lifelines!) and a navy wool with little white slubs in it. I think I bought a pattern book and some needles.....and of course, the discontinued Dale of Norway Cotton/Alpaca blend. It was only like THREE DOLLARS A BALL!! How could I not??? Of course, I didn't know if I would like it, but it was Dale of Norway! and ALPACA, which I had already noticed was expensive. And DISCONTINUED!! What if I loved it????

Turns out I didn't love it, and all but about 2 balls are still in my stash..... I did make a scarf (my third FO) of my own design. Remember that you noticed all the stockinette stitches were twisted? I couldn't figure out why, and eventually discovered some Eastern European style of knitting where they purposely twisted the stitches, so I always called it my Slavic Scarf!

And then for quite a while, when I would see a yarn that I loved, I would try to decide at that moment what I would make of it. I always ended up buying about a sweater's-worth, just in case, and so the stash grew. Fortunately for my pocketbook, I saw a tip that said to buy only one ball, take it home and decide if you love it and exactly what to make before you buy so much. I stopped haunting Elann.com and learned to make socks, so the bulk of my stash is now smaller lots.

I haven't decided to STOP buying yarn, but I am working on organizing, cataloging and USING my stash. There is still some yarn that I no longer love and would like to de-stash. The best thing that has happened since I stopped neglecting my stash is that I have begun to use it!

I have done a couple of commission projects this year, and of course the blanket - those were not from the stash. But most of the rest of my knitting from this year HAS been from the stash, including the Sockapalooza socks!


www.flickr.com






So, now I'll quit babbling about stash - at least for a little while.

Because I need to spend some quality time with my stash and pattern books and imagination. I just found out that my niece-who-is-a-new-bride is expecting a baby next spring!! Yay!! (That brings to FIVE the number of babies I get to knit for by March...I really don't have time to talk to you, now do I???)

Keep knitting!!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)




No comments: