Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Had a little accident yesterday.....

Greetings and Dear Laura:

Whew! Sorry for another extended absence. Last week on Wednesday we rented a car that would ride smoothly and loaded up my parents and I drove them to their home in Kentucky. The doctors agreed that the long drive was worth the benefit to my dad of being able to keep an eye on his business interests there. We were to take a "leisurely drive with lots of breaks to walk around." Normal drive time is around 7 hours. We got stuck in traffic, took a cross-country detour, only TWO breaks, and made it in just under 8 hours!

I stayed with them until Sunday evening, and while I did have internet access, I did not have "spare time" for any of my usual pursuits. I usually managed to keep my fantasy baseball players active on their game days, but that was it. I read some email, but I did not knit a stitch or blog or read blogs. While it felt good to head for home on Sunday night, it was also weird. I had gotten used to "taking care" of my parents, especially dad. I always knew how much he was sleeping, eating, walking, etc. I knew his latest blood pressure and blood sugar readings, what meds he's taking and when. He is well enough that they can handle all of that....but it was strangely difficult to let it go.


I returned to work on Monday, but I've needed a few days to decompress and get back to my normal life. I have been knitting at lunch on the socks I started for my niece's birthday present. I'm past the half-way point on the foot of the first sock, so progress is being made again.

And in my biggest step back into normal life, I headed up to the Wool Barn in Avilla to pick up a book that I had ordered, Favorite Socks by Interweave Knits. Actually, I was on my way to pick that book up three and a half weeks ago when I got the call from my mom that dad would be having surgery, and so I turned around and headed south instead. It seemed to be time to get back to that!

While I was there, well, I had a bit of an accident. I hadn't been in ANY yarn store for months, and I had been all geared up for Market at Stitches, so I had "pent-up buying intentions," I guess. On the way there, I remembered that they had a worsted weight cashmere blend from Lana Grossa called Pashmina. I got a ball of cream to make a baby hat for a co-worker's new baby.
Photo_082907_002.jpg

I also remembered that I had purchased a ball of "Wick" by Knit One Crochet Too. It's a soy-based yarn that is designed to wick away moisture. I've seen a pair of socks knit with it, and would like to do a pair.
Photo_082907_001.jpg
It takes 3 balls for a pair of socks, so I decided to pick up 2 more. They didn't have the blue multi-color that I chose the first time, so I picked up 2 in a plain blue and I'll do some kind of striping or accent or something.


The rest we'll just have to chalk up to my "weakened condition."
Photo_082907_003.jpg

There were two big skeins of Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino Handpaint in the Fiesta colorway - I bought one. (This is a terrible picture - the color is MUCH more vibrant. Think Fiesta!) I love the stuff!
Photo_082907_004.jpg

And I got 2 small skeins of the Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino semi-solids in pink. I'm thinking Baby Surprise Jackets for some of the many babies on the way.

There. I feel better.

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Haha, oops!!! I say you deserve that yarn after taking such good care of your Dad. Daughter of the Year for sure!

Anonymous said...

We are in the same position with my mother. It is very difficult to let go. But, yarn buying certainly helps take your mind off of it! Looks like you made a good haul.

Sus said...

I'm glad you had a good weekend with your parents and I'm glad you were able to partake of some "yarn therapy" afterwards.