Monday, October 15, 2007

Stash lost. Stash found. Stash lost.

Greetings and Dear Laura:

I must be losing my mind. I'm sure as heck losing my yarn.....

Four years ago, I ordered
Heirloom Breeze yarn from Ozeyarn. I ordered 4 bags. I think. One in cream, one in yellow, one in red and one in blue. 10 balls is enough to do a baby blanket. I had already made 2 blankets with this yarn and really loved it. It's a stretchy wool/cotton blend that tolerates the washer and dryer, and the two moms who had these blankets really liked them.

My niece Amanda was expecting, and blue and/or red was going to work with the nursery she planned. And since Cass Street wasn't carrying the yarn anymore, I ordered yellow and white to have on hand.

So. Four blankets worth. I never got around to knitting a blanket for Amanda's baby Grace. Just ran out of time. I had the yarn in a plastic tote when I moved - it was in storage upstairs at mom & dad's. Then I went to knit a baby blanket...and I couldn't find that tote. Or the tote with the Cascade 220 leftovers and the 2-sweaters-worth of Classic Elite Tweed. I hunted everywhere. Went through every box and tote upstairs (found a lot of OTHER yarn I'd forgotten about!) went through my closets, my yarn dresser....nothing.

I looked again when it was time to have the stash sale and start cataloging my stash. Same result. I was just SURE that I hadn't knit 4 baby blankets and forgotten about it, but I finally gave up.

Last week we had a contractor over to remove a wall from between my parents living room and family room. While it was all torn up, I wanted a second cable run from the satellite down through my hall closet and out by the tv. In order to do this, I had to empty the hall closet.

You can see where this is going - I found the tote with the Breeze yarn!! I was SO excited - I want to do a blanket for a baby due in January. I'd been looking at yarn, but it was really bugging me to think of buying yarn for a baby blanket when I knew I had all that Breeze. I photographed a ball in each color to post to Ravelry, then grabbed the red and blue to start swatching.

I think. Somehow this gets messed up. I have a bag with 2 balls of blue and 7 of red. But I was SURE that I also had a bag with the other 8 of blue and a couple of loose balls of red in that tote as well. However. I CAN'T FIND THEM!!!!!! I've torn the closet mostly apart again, I've looked in all my other yarn containers.....it's not pretty.

Possibilities:

1. I've lost my mind and there was always only this bag of red/blue mix. Maybe I didn't order a full bag of each color. But if I was only going to order one blanket's worth - I would have ordered more than 2 balls of blue to 7 red....and why do I think I saw a bag of mostly blue just a week ago?????

2. I did take a big stack of empty boxes to the dumpster last week - did that bag get in one of them somehow? But the boxes were in the hallway, and I certainly didn't put any yarn in the hall. (This one keeps me up at night anyway. Yarn in the dumpster??? The horror...)

3. It's still in the house somewhere.

I don't know. But I need to get started on that blanket, and 2 balls of blue isn't enough. And blue/white is the color combo she'd like. Oy.

In other news, I'm on a bit of a hat jag. Amanda is having her 3rd child, scheduled for October 29th. When asked what she would like for me to knit for this baby, she requested hats. She had a hard time finding hats for Lydia, and would like several for this baby.

So far I have a "girl hat" from
Louisa Harding Kimono Angora that just needs a little flower detail. (I have enough yarn to make another of these, so that's a nice portable project to have in my "baby gift stash.)

IMG_3806.JPG

A
Fetching Inspired Hat made from Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. This yarn is the leftover from Grace's Christening gown, so the new baby will have a matching hat. (I also still have enough yarn for another of these!)

IMG_3829.JPG

A Bobble Hat that I made from some
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Rainbow. (Oh I had me some serious love for that colorway. I had several skeins of it in fingering, and hated everything I tried. I have maybe 5 or 6 skeins in Worsted - and it's truly ugly no matter what I do. I have a mitten and a half knitted plus an adult hat and 4 balls, plus this baby hat. This yarn will haunt me for the rest of my life!!!!!!!!!!) I got a little goofy with the pom-pom I-cord thing....

IMG_3828.JPG

and now I'm working on a Cable Brim Hat (baby-hat-as-swatch, I'm making it up as I go!) out of
Cascade Cash Vero.

IMG_3832.JPG

Whew. That's going to be it for now - there's plenty going on, but that's a brief recap. (Get it - hats - reCAP....oh, nevermind....)

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Don't you hate it when the yarn hides from you like that? Drives me nuts. The older I get, the better it seems to hide.

Marie N. said...

I don't have enough stash to have losses yet. So I'm still working toward that benchmark I guess!

I love the white hat in baby cashmerino. And your handiwork makes it look its best.