Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sweet Harmony

Greetings and Dear Cynthia,

I am still sewing like crazy (and *not* finishing/sewing sleeves into my big brown sweater, though in my defense, it's been about 90 degrees F here for the past couple of days, so finishing the big Two Hearts wool sweater has been "temperature prohibitive.") I made a sleeveless black dress for summer (well, actually I made it *twice*, which is a story all in itself to save for a day when I have a decent photo of me wearing it). And now I'm working on the Sweet Harmony Tote by Amy Butler. There are lots of fun details in this bag. There is piping which I had to make out of the lining fabric:
...and here is a pic of how the piping looks "installed" along the top of the outer pockets:
There is also a cell phone pocket, hidden from normal view by the outer pocket:
I'm at the point in which I'm assembling the main pieces together for the bag. This next pic gives you an idea of the shape of the completed bag:
It will be about 17" across the bottom... Then, there is a lining to put together which will have large zippered pockets which is just in pieces right now...

This bag is going to replace my backpack. Here is my trusty backpack, which was given to DH for free at a conference years ago, which I...er... might have taken from him, even though it had a lot of propaganda stitched into the front of it...
...so I embellished it with a big "L"...so that he wouldn't even think about re-claiming it:
...and it has been with me since I started taking pre-requisites for grad school back in 2004... It started falling apart in the past couple of months. I've already patched it once, and now has another big hole. It is probably appropriate for it to start falling apart *now*, mimicking my own slightly wayward spiral just trying to crank through the last few weeks of core classes in April and May...so with all of that out of the way now, onward -- a new bag for my re-entry back into "normal" life. (I think I spent the first week after classes got done just thinking about what I *should* be working on, until I figured out that I have no classes right now, so I *should* be knitting and/or watching TV :-)

Have a great Wednesday! I'm going to have a little lunch, and then get back to sewing :-)

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

4 comments:

marit said...

That bag will look awesome once it's done!!! Love the fabric- not my colours at all, but so great!

Cindy G said...

That bag is going to be adorable! (what a complex pattern)

Laikabear said...

Wow I am really impressed with those bags! I wish I could sew...

The e-servers logo on the backpack makes me laugh. My ex works for IBM and I remember when they changed the name of his dept. from Netfinity to e-servers. You were supposed to pronounce that "E-persand servers" and it used to drive us both crazy since the @ is the "at" symbol and & is the ampersand. I still have an "e-persand" coffee cup, LOL!

price per head call center said...

Wow great post very informative, all i can add is if you would like to read more on the subject, you should visit google and find relevent sources! hope it is helpful